Friday 10 June 2011

The madness of becomin' what one was never meant to be

Recently took one of those online surveys to identify your dream job or top career.  I tried to be truthful and answered all the questions without hesitation, repetition or mixed-up confusion. After all, you only end up kidding yourself when you realise that you could've been a contender.

The survey asked about my likes, weaknesses, strength, favourites, height, collections, attitude to people in authority and my relationship with my mother - standard psychometric stuff really.  The sliding scale meant sitting on the fence was factored out - the definitive definite article.  When I’d finished I excitedly scrolled down for the results.


Now to be honest I wasn’t surprised to see Personal Adviser, Editorial Assistant or Public Relations Officer showing up, but what really drew my eye were the areas with a ‘shows talent’ icon.  Again, Author, Writer, Novelist – yes, in my dreams.  But Priest, MP and Ballerina were a genuine surprise.

Then I started wondering about combining the suggestions to create or capture a niche occupation: Model Novelist; Entrepreneurial Religious Leader; Dancing Politician – Ann Widdecombe flashed into my mind and I screamed.

Some career paths are best left un-trodden.

No comments:

Post a Comment